Paleo Mexican Cauliflower Rice
Adapted from Paleo Cupboard http://www.paleocupboard.com/mexican-cauliflower-rice.html
When I was looking for a side dish to go with my Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas, I knew I wanted rice. But I also like how I don’t have to struggle to put my jeans on (well, except when they come out straight from the dryer) and was looking for a lighter option.
Cauliflower rice – which I still can’t believe I’ve embraced – came to mind. I’ve only really made Cauliflower Fried Rice so making this Paleo Mexican Cauliflower Rice was a bit of an adventure.
And I’m so glad I went on it.
I didn’t know what to expect, but once I put the seasonings in the pan and added the tomatoes I knew it wasn’t going to suck. When it was done and I tasted it…WOW! There was so much flavor. And it looked so pretty.
This was a perfect side to go along with my Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas. I think it’s also great on its own, tossed with a little ground beef or ground turkey, or even in a burrito.
And I don’t think that it was a coincidence that when I first tasted the Paleo Mexican Cauliflower Rice that Beyoncé’s “Crazy in Love” came on my playlist just at that moment. Jay Z totally echoed what I was thinking when he started the song off with, “Yes! So crazy right now…most incredibly…”
- 2 Tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 12 oz. bag Trader Joe’s Organic Riced Cauliflower
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 chopped fresh cilantro (plus more for garnish)
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 limes, quartered (for serving)
- Heat the grapeseed oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion to the pan and saute for about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add the cauliflower to the pan and stir until the cauliflower softens a little, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the salt, black pepper, cumin and paprika to the pan and stir to combine. Allow to cook for another 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomato paste, fresh cilantro and chopped tomato and stir until all of the liquid is absorbed . Cook for another 2-3 minutes, then taste and adjust seasonings to taste. Serve with a sprinkle of fresh cilantro and some lime wedges.
CHECK OUT THESE OTHER GREAT RECIPES & POSTS!