Paleo Bacon & Chocolate Chip Waffles
Adapted from Bravo for Paleo http://bravoforpaleo.com/2015/06/08/gluten-free-waffle-recipe/
Yes, you read that right.
It’s a proven, scientific fact that bacon makes everything better (isn’t it?). But what makes bacon itself better? I think I might have the answer.
I started off thinking I’d make a nice recipe of paleo waffles. Then I realized I had a package of bacon in my fridge and it made perfect sense to cook it up and add it to the waffle batter – because, you know…
After I put the first few bacon waffles in the waffle iron, I was standing around, listening to Kanye’s The Life of Pablo (which is brilliant, by the way) and opened up my pantry to pass the time. And I’m glad I did because the first thing I saw was a bag of dark chocolate chips. And everything just fell into place. I figured adding a handful of chocolate chips to the batter wasn’t going to hurt. (Good thing the first thing I saw wasn’t the apple cider vinegar, which was fairly close to the chocolate chips. No bueno.)
When I taste-tested the bacon chocolate chip waffle it was a great balance of sweet and savory. And when the balance between the two is right I like to refer to it as epicness.
The instructions call for whisking the egg whites and I did it by hand. I did push presses yesterday and thrusters today, so after about a minute I realized I should have used my hand blender. But that’s okay since these waffles are totally worth it.
I have a teeny waffle maker and mine here are the size of Eggo waffles. And speaking of Eggo waffles, Eleven from Stranger Things would absolutely love these waffles. No need for her to go to her local supermarket, helping herself to heaps of Eggo waffles, while freaking everyone out. (If you don’t know what I’m talking about check out Stranger Things on Netflix and get ready to be obsessed with this show.)
These waffles are perfect for breakfast, but also just as good for lunch or a snack. You can easily make up a batch of two ahead of time and toast them up whenever you’re ready to enjoy them. They also make for a good cure to hangriness. You can eliminate the need to throw people across the room with your mind (I’m looking at you Eleven).
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 cup coconut milk or almond milk
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 8 slices bacon
- 3-4 Tablespoons dark chocolate chips
- Non-stick spray for iron (I used coconut oil spray)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spread bacon in a flat, even layer on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. When done, drain bacon a paper towel-lined plate. Once the bacon is drained, cut into small pieces.
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks and milk.
- Add almond flour and salt. Combine until smooth.
- Add melted butter.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk egg whites until they form moist, stiff peaks.
- Fold about 1/4 of egg whites into batter. Fold batter into remaining egg whites in three parts.
- Add maple syrup, vanilla, bacon, and chocolate chips. Mix well.
- Spray the waffle iron with non-stick spray and scoop batter onto the waffle iron.
- Cook until golden brown.
CHECK OUT THESE OTHER GREAT RECIPES & POSTS!